How to speed up laptop performance has always been a keyword that people are often looking for on Google. Whether it’s those who have monster laptops, let alone those who have potato laptops. This method is definitely looking for.
Whether this laptop is slow or not always depends on whether your laptop is a potato or a monster. But how old is your laptop and have you upgraded or not. Because over time, technology will develop while your laptop may not. Then how do you make the laptop not slow?
10 Ways to Speed Up Laptop Performance
1. Enlarge RAM
The first most effective way is to increase the amount of RAM. This method is always done by many people whose laptops are already slow. You can upgrade 2GB RAM to 4GB or 8GB depending on the final limit of upgrading your laptop.
The method is easy, but it requires experts. If you’re an amateur, leave it to the technician. The way is this;
- Check your RAM SODIMM or not? Then also check whether your RAM is DDR3 or DDR4. The goal is that you don’t buy the wrong one. Laptops are usually SODIMM and DDR4.
- After buying RAM, now take apart the back of your laptop.
- Then in the RAM section, you will find 1 empty slot that you can fill in other RAM or if only 1 slot is available, first remove the RAM and then install new RAM.
2. Changing HDD to SSD
HDD will have no effect on the speed of your laptop when you add the number of storage areas. Although it is influential, it will have very little effect. If you want to be faster, replace HDD to SSD. This method is proven to be effective in speeding up Windows 10 or any other OS.
3. Deleting Files in the Recycle Bin
This method can only be done on slow Windows 10. When there is less storage space, the ability to run your laptop machine will also decrease. So delete all files in the Recycle Bin. The way is;
- Right click on the Recycle Bin.
- Then select Empty Recycle Bin.
- If you want the manual method, open the Recycle Bin first.
- CTRL + A.
- Press Delete.
4. Removing Unnecessary Programs
Are all the programs on your computer important? Otherwise, immediately remove unnecessary programs. How to speed up the performance of this laptop is also fairly easy and you don’t need to buy a new device. The way is this;
- Open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program.
- Select the program you wish to uninstall.
- Then press Uninstall at the top.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
5. Virtual Memory
Virtual memory has a role that is not as big as RAM. But he can make laptop performance increase. The trick is like this;
- Enter the Control Panel.
- Click System And Security.
- Select System.
- Select Advanced System.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- In the Performance section press Settings.
- Enter the Advance tab again.
- In the Virtual Memory option, press Change …
- Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
- Check Custom Size.
- Press Set.
- Then finally press OK.
6. Installing Anti Virus
The next way to speed up laptop performance is to use an antivirus. It could be that your laptop is slow because of many viruses that have infected so that your laptop works twice as much. It is recommended to use an official anti virus, not pirated ones. Or if you want cheap, just use Windows Defender. In addition, you can see the best antivirus recommendations in the previous article.
7. Diligent Defrag
Be diligent about defragging your hard drive. This can make the hard drive more efficient and more organized. The way is this;
- On the hard drive, right click.
- Select Properties.
- Select Defragment Now.
- Wait for it to finish.
8. Using Disk Cleanup
If the above method still fails, try to use the method of cleaning the disk. This method which is also called Disk Cleanup helps you to clean temporary files on the hard disk. Just select which drive you want to clean temporary files from. The way is;
- Right click on the drive.
- Go to Properties.
- Select Disk Cleanup.
9. Hibernate Mode
If it still fails, try using hibernate mode when going to Windows. The function of this mode is to save memory when it is turned off and like to make the memory refreshed to be ready to work harder. The way is like this;
- Press simultaneously Windows Key and I.
- Enter the System.
- Press Power and Sleep.
- Enter the Additional Power Settings.
- Enter Power Option.
- Click Choose what the power buttons do.
- Check Change settings that are currently available.
10. Stopping Programs Running at Startup
The last way is to stop programs running at startup. You do this by going to the task manager, then selecting a program that you are not currently using but is absorbing memory, then press end.
Thus the discussion on how to speed up the performance of a slow laptop . Please practice from number one to ten for maximum results.